Hello and welcome to Mummy’s Star!
The success and ongoing work of Mummy’s Star is dependent on the donations we receive so literally every penny helps us. We fundraise in a number of different ways:
- Regular Giving
- Sponsors for individual challenges
- Business Donations
- Club/School Activities
- Merchandise and Sales
- Events/Awareness Campaigns
- Through Shopping Platforms
- Utility Warehouse portal
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
This depends on what you want to do! If you decide to fundraise for us, it’s important you choose something you enjoy doing. You could organise an event, get sponsored to do a challenge, sell merchandise or host a night in. No idea is too big or small.
Remember to speak to your employer. Some companies give match funding for events or they may allow you to host a dress down day, cake sale or other event to get everyone involved.
Yes! Please see our dedicated section below.
We have many enquiries from people asking if they can volunteer to help women directly. Unfortunately, due to the sensitive nature of our work we cannot provide opportunities for volunteering in this way. If you are a health care professional/ service provider, please see our dedicated section for ways you can support our work.
You will find a link to our justgiving site on our homepage which is the quickest and easiest way to donate. You can also set up a regular donation here too. If you are a UK taxpayer you can gift aid your donations.
If you prefer not to use this method, we accept cheque donations made out to Mummy’s Star and these can be sent to our address.
If you would like to set up a regular donation you can do this via https://www.justgiving.com/mummysstar and choose ‘Make a Monthly Donation’, this can be from as little as £1 per month.
All donations we receive help us to run Mummy’s Star and ensure that women and families are supported through one of the most difficult times of their lives. Your donations help us maintain our website with all the information these families need, raise awareness of Mummy’s Star through events and activities and most importantly allow us to run our grants programme which offers financial relief to families in this situation. To see some examples of the kind of things funded through our grants scheme visit our grants page.
As we develop as a charity in the future we hope to employ floating support workers nationally to be able to directly support families that contact us. These workers will be able to help families through the maze of information, support at appointments and challenge, if necessary, some of the decisions being made about a family and their treatment.
Some examples of where you fundraising goes:
- £30/40 – A days childcare while mum has chemotherapy/radiotherapy,
- £35 – An hours private counselling for mum one she’s finished treatment (so that she’s not waiting months for an appt),
- £50 – parking costs for 8/10 spots at hospital,
- £80 – Mastectomy swimwear so mum had the confidence to do ‘normal’ activities with her child/children again,
- £60/£80 – recompense for partner if they need to take time off work but have used all their paid leave,
- £100 – Travel/mileage costs from appointments for 3 months,
- £100 – custom made/designed lymphedema sleeve/compression garments to help mum feel ‘normal’ when she’s out an about,
- £200 – An adapted swivel car seat which makes it easier for mum to get baby in and out of the car after surgery,
- £250 – An IPad which can be loaned to families to have face time when mum is in hospital overnight, so she can still ‘be there’ at bed/storytime,
- £500 – A mini break for a family with terminal diagnosis to create some more lasting memories.
We find Just Giving the best way to make one off gifts, set up monthly donations and creating giving pages to collect sponsorship. Having most of our donations in one place helps us collect information quickly and effectively, meaning there is less time spent on the administration and more time spent on directly supporting our families.
If you choose to support Mummy’s Star along with another charity you can use Virgin Money Giving to do this.