Can you get cancer, from being Pregnant?
Yes, yes you can. It’s very rare, but it can happen; and unfortunately it happened to us.
In March 2016, we discovered that we were pregnant with baby #3. You do the usual tests, as you do; and wait for that all important scan. So on April the 1st, we had our scan. Immediately, something wasn’t right. The obgyn told us that there was a mass in my uterus, and we needed to have a d&c to remove the mass.
On the 4th of April, i had the d&c. They removed the tumour, and they also removed a 12 week old baby. It was a bit of a shock, considering we were meant to be 7 weeks along; and not 12.
Note to self, don’t trust at home pregnancy tests from now on.
We were diagnosed with a partial hydatidiform mole (partial molar pregnancy). This is caused by two sperm, entering an egg. This is normally impossible, but on very rare occasions; it can happen.
In our case, it happened. There is a 1 in 1,000-2,000 chance of a molar pregnancy. Nothing you do will cause a molar, it’s just very bad luck.
So the tumour and baby were sent away for testing, and we had our baby cremated; thanks to the wonderful people at kemh’s perinatal loss. We took the ashes to build a bear, and baby’s ashes are in a teddy that we built. We are so grateful to perinatal loss at kemh, and to the wonderful lab techs who treated our baby with care during testing.
Follow up after a molar needs weekly blood tests. I had blood tests every week, and a month after the surgery the beta hcg levels started to rise. I had a phone call from my doctor on mother’s day, and we went in to have a chat the next day. I had another blood draw, and they called me on tuesday. My levels had tripled. Due to the increase, i had to be referred back to the hospital.
So the hospital called me the next day, and i was booked in to see a specialist. I had another phone call later that day from kemh, i was to see them instead. I asked why, and they said that the hospital had to transfer my case over to them. So on the 11th of May, we went to kemh to talk to the doctor.
It’s time to start chemo. The tumour is now maligant. You’ll need another ultrasound and chest x-ray, to make sure it hasn’t spread to your lungs. Cancer. Wow. We were not expecting that. The chances of a partial molar, turning cancerous was 0.5-4%.
On the 12th of May, i had the scans; thankfully the tumour had not spread to my lungs. I started my first cycle of chemotherapy, injections every 2nd day; this will go on for around 4-6 months. If the cancer becomes more aggressive, i will be going back to the oncology unit at our local hospital for intravenous therapy.
Worst case scenario? hysterectomy.
It’s a waiting game now. Why am i sharing my story though? because i want to bring awareness to this rare disease. We felt so lost when were diagnosed, and if i can help other people and their families, who are going through this experience; i will be happy.