top of page
mummys star page
  • Writer's pictureMummy's Star

Support with Work for Partners

Our team offer some advice to help you balance work and family while you support a partner through a cancer diagnosis / treatment...

Pete talks time off...

You can take time off to support your partner and family.

Employees have a right to unpaid leave for certain emergencies, also known as ‘time off for family and dependents'.

You are entitled to take ‘reasonable time off’ to deal with unforeseen situations for someone who depends on you for care. This could include caring for your partner through side-effects of treatment or taking time to process them receiving a cancer diagnosis.

Fiona talks flexible working...

If you have been working for your employer for 26 weeks and have a contract of employment, you also have a statutory right to ask for flexible working.

This could be a shift in your work pattern, the times you work, or working from home to better fit in with the demands of caring. Your employer can refuse the request, but only on specific grounds.

We recognise that, while many employers are incredibly supportive during such circumstances, and offer all the necessary flexibility required, there are others who sadly are not. ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Services) provide free and impartial advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law. Their website is full of useful articles and they also have a helpline 0300 1231100.

Sara talks paternity leave...

Your employment rights are protected while on paternity leave. This includes your right to:

  • Pay rises

  • Build up (accrue) holiday

  • Return to work

The length of paternity leave is not automatically extended if a partner becomes unwell. If the diagnosis comes during your leave you will have to discuss with your employer what options may be available for extending compassionate leave etc. to extend.

Macmillan have a fantastic resource for partners which goes into more detail about communicating with your employer when your partner becomes unwell.

If you are unsure what kind of help you might qualify for, or need any help with forms or applications, speak to your Information and Support Worker or email to self-refer.


bottom of page